Monday, November 15, 2010

Taco Salad - SAMM

I realize you probably read that title and thought that there's no way you need a recipe for taco salad but just keep reading.

For the past month or so I've committed myself to making one new recipe a week.  My menu had become really stale and I was just repeating the same recipe's over and over, even if they're yummy ones excessive repeats just diminish they're deliciousness.  I find recipes online sometimes but mostly I've been pulling out cookbooks I haven't used in ages and flipped through them once again choosing recipes that perhaps I skipped over the first time.  This new recipe experiment has been mostly unsuccessful so far, just about every new recipe I've tried has been average or below average until today, I finally found one that will make it's way into permanent rotation.

This recipe comes from a little Pillsbury book I got who knows when, it's called Casseroles & Slow Cooker Meals.  I was looking for a Sunday meal and lately I've been enjoying the slow cooker, especially on Sunday it's nice to come home to a cooked dinner.  I saw the taco salad recipe and thought it would be perfect because I love taco salad and since I did all the prep in the morning it would feel even easier than it already was.  This recipe is awesome and may become our new go-to taco meat.

Here's a picture of the meat all cooked.  I know it doesn't look great because it's a pot of meat but trust when I say it's so good.  I hadn't ever put beans in my tacos before but I love the extra texture and substance they add.


Make-Your-Own Taco Salad
1 lb ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 can (16 oz) tomato puree (does this mean crushed tomatoes?  That's what I used)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/8 tsp pepper

So you put it all in the slow cooker breaking up your meat before you add all your other ingredients and give it a good mix.  Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.

Once it's done you plate with whatever you'd normally have on taco salad.  We had lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, sour cream, avocado and corn chips.


Linking to Share a Meal Monday

0 comments: