Friday, May 20, 2011

Our Best Bites

I may not be doing a lot of crafting these days but one thing I am doing is cooking.


I think it was January when I decided I wanted a new cook book.  I'd been cooking one new recipe a week and was tired of searching the internet all the time, I wanted to be able to open a book from my cupboard and find something new and exciting.  I looked around a bit and then I discovered the Our Best Bites website.  I cooked from there for a while until they announced they were releasing a cook book and I knew that was what I wanted.

I've cooked a bunch of recipes from the book now and there isn't one I don't love.  I thought I'd let you know what I've made and a link to the recipe's they've posted online.


Glazed-Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
This is just as awesome as it sounds, meatloaf wrapped in bacon.  I especially love that this isn't a ketchup based meatloaf.


We served this with roasted potatoes and my favorite Oven-Roasted Balsamic Brussel Sprouts.


French Dip Sandwiches


These were so delicious and super easy.  Who would have thought to put Swiss cheese on a beef dip?  So yummy and happy I made it.


Taco Chicken

I can't stop craving these taco salads.  The chicken is crazy easy and don't you dare skip this dressing, it's incredible.  Turns a regular taco salad into so much more. Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing

Then there was the Mexican-Style Sweet Shredded Pork that is just as crave able, sadly this recipe isn't online and perhaps I shouldn't but the recipe is so good I'm giving it to you here (sorry there's no photo).

4 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp onion powder
1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 (10 oz) cans enchilada sauce
1 cup brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup apple juice

1. Trim visible fat from roast and sprinkle with salt, pepper, chili powder and onion powder, massage into meat.
2. Using the oil sear pork roast on all sides until golden brown
3.  While meat is searing, combine the enchilada sauce, 2/3 cup brown sugar, salsa, Worcestershire sauce, and apple juice in slow-cooker.  Add the pork, cover and cook on low for 7 hours with lid on the entire time.
4. remove pork and shred, discarding any pieces of fat.  Add the additional 1/3 cup brown sugar to slow cooker and turn heat to high.  Add shredded meat, simmer with lid off for 30 minutes.


I served this with Lime-Cilantro Rice with Pineapple

 Pico de Gallo
Tortilla chips, my favourite Cilantro-Lime Dressing and avocado.  It was incredible only I couldn't find enchilada sauce so I made my own.  I'm at my in-laws still so I used the chilli powder that I found and it turned out to be insanely spicy.  I look forward to the next, toned down version.


Last there are the recipes that aren't in the book that I won't share with you:
Italian Chicken and Vegetable Skewers
Spinach-Chicken Stromboli  (oh man I loved this)
Oven-Roasted Broccoli


These are just a sampling of the yummy recipes found in the book, there are still a bunch more I'm excited to make.  It's awesome and I highly recommend it, you should buy a copy.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

This is my favourite cookbook. The teriyaki sauce is amazing on both chicken and salmon.

Brunette & Blessed said...

I love your blog! I stumbled across it when I found a link on someone elses page regarding the makeup board you created. I think its genius! Thanks for the tip

http://brunetteandblessed.blogspot.com/

Carla said...

I saw the cookbook at Time Out for Women, but since I had never heard of it, I thought I would check out the website first. I am really enjoying it too!!

Stephen, Erica, Kalli, Ziek, Sky, Luke, Eliza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.